The News 8/15/2020
It has been a while since I’ve done a news round-up, and to be honest, I had to step away and take a mental break for a hot minute to focus on my actual job and let the social medias cool down for a hot minute. In spite of everything going on and the changes to our local foodscape, there is still a lot of good news on the horizon and currently happening. We’ll try to keep it positive beyond the first bullet-point just in case y’all missed it.
- Leonardo's 706 announced earlier this week they will be permanently closing after 47 years of serving Gainesville. I shared my thoughts on this in an earlier post as well as an interview with WCJB.
- In case you also missed it, I recently announced an upcoming new restaurant concept in Downtown Gainesville called The Leaning Pig. The menu will be focused on sandwiches, salads, and small bites using local ingredients. Wine and beer are also available. The restaurant, located in the space formerly occupied by The Gelato Company, will be helmed by Dragonfly alumni as well as Tommy Dorn of Dorn’s Liquors.
- After Civilization closed a couple months back, there is now plans to bring a wine bar concept to the space they vacated. More information to come, but I’m hearing the former wine director from Public & General will be involved. Stay tuned for this one, sounds like it’s going to be a good one!
- Satchel's Pizza recently opened their second location as well. Satch Squared is located in the 4th Avenue Food Park serving Detroit-style pizzas and waffles.
- BENTO asian kitchen + sushi announced on Wednesday, August 12th that their dining rooms in Gainesville are now re-opened for business.
- the TOP is also now re-open for dine-in from 5 PM to 10 PM on Tuesdays through Sundays. They will require temperature checks and face masks before entering. Take-out menu is still available if you do not feel comfortable dining in.
- Halo Potato Donuts recently unveiled a 2nd food truck, it’s a small little fella they’ve dubbed “Lil’ Tater”…though if you follow me on Instagram, you’ll know that I insist on it being called Tater Swift. There’s much more good news to come for them. 😊
- Public & General saw a couple changes recently as Chef Will Thomas stepped down due to personal reasons and introduction of brunch on Saturdays. The restaurant recently also rolled out a “half time” menu of limited options available between 3 PM and 5 PM.
Stay tuned folks, keep your chins up, and soldier on. Even though things seem bleak and we’ve lost a few local favorites, there’s also plenty of good news as well. We will get through it. Keep an eye out in the coming weeks, as I’m working on a special article along with over a dozen local restauranteurs and food…people.