The News 10/15/2019
It’s a busy travel season for me, but I’m sneaking on here to drop a few nuggets. Make sure you follow my Instagram if you haven’t already done so (@keneatsgainesville) for even more content. For now, some juicy goodness is coming your way in the form of another delicious news post. Starting. Right. Now.
- Starting off with a couple questions that I’ve gotten from quite a number of you. It’s two places I really don’t care about nor would I normally talk about, but since there has been so many inquiries…the old Bono’s BBQ building on Newberry Road is going to be another Arby’s serving up depression sandwiches and sadness fries. I’ve also been asked about the building that’s going up near the new Starbucks on Archer Road, just west of I-75, that is a part of The Commons (Celebration Pointe). This is going to be Texas Roadhouse, who are relocating from their current location in Butler West. The plans for the old building are still up in the air. No one cares about Newk’s.
- Audi Gainesville is hosting their annual Oktoberfest celebration this coming Saturday, October 19th from 10 AM to 6 PM. This will be an actual Oktoberfest celebration with plenty of beer, German food, a band flown in from Munich, and a big ol’ tent. Any and all proceeds from the event will also go towards the local Ronald McDonald House. Parking is going to be limited, so if you plan on attending, an Uber/Lyft is recommended.
- In addition to the new Opus Coffee in the Innovation District (see my previous review on it), Gainesville also welcomed another coffee shop to the list recently with Concord Coffee opening up at 1380 West University Avenue. They’re a popular roaster from Lakeland who has chosen Gainesville as their second location. I have yet to visit, but the space looks beautiful!
- Maple Street Biscuit Company as a whole was recently acquired by Cracker Barrel for a large sum of money. I spoke directly with the operator of the two Gainesville locations to find out if any changes are coming, and the short answer is no. Same menus, same prices, same ingredients, and they will remain Maple Street Biscuit Company. I have no idea where some of these rumors about name changes, menu changes, and gift shops added even came from. The CEO is even staying in place, and the only difference now is they have deeper pockets for an even bigger expansion.
- If you missed my earlier post, Cilantro Tacos has split up into two entities. They’ve always been operated separate but together, and it was just an overdue change that enabled both parties to branch out and do what they want without a clash of philosophy. The downtown Gainesville location is now Sublime Tacos, while the Town of Tioga location remains Cilantro Tacos and is operated by the original owners dating back to their location in Newberry. Both will continue to operate their own food trucks.
- Sababa has been working through the installation of their hood system, with an expected final inspection on it next week. This means the return of falafel, fried items, and Turkish lamb kebabs are imminent!
- If Oktoberfest is not your thing, Cedar Key is hosting their 50th annual Seafood Festival this Saturday and Sunday, both days from 10 AM to 4 PM. It’s free to attend, and just a short drive down Archer Road until you hit the Gulf. There will be tons of seafood vendors, arts and craft, and live music.
- Finally, Wawa broke ground on their location at the corner of University Avenue and Waldo Road today. This is in addition to the location on the corner of 23rd and 13th (former Rooms to Go) that’s currently under construction, and two upcoming locations on Archer Road. They’re expected to open in 2020. While the land is signed for and owned on the Archer Road locations, they have yet to officially break ground. If anyone from Wawa is reading this, please sell E85 so I can buy go-fast juice for my car much easier and better than the crappy Almond Oil on Newberry Road whose pumps are leaking and whose employees give no craps.
That’s all for now folks, don’t forget to follow me on my Instagram @keneatsgainesville to stay up to date on what I’m eating and where I’m eating it. Lots of travel coming up soon, and I’m excited to share new eats with all of you!