The News 8/20/2019
It’s smack dab in the middle of August and that means three things; students are back, traffic is butt, and it’s going to be the start of college football season (aka the most glorious time of the year). It also means your friendly neighborhood Ken Peng is back with another informative food round-up. Tell your friends, especially the newbies in town, y’all already know who to follow on the interwebz for Gainesville food. Find me here, on my website, and on the Instagrams. Definitely follow me on the Instagrams if you want to follow where I’m eating in Gainesville and beyond!
- The Keys Grill and Piano Bar is targeting an open date the first Gators home game on September 7th. In case you missed it, this new seafood grill/piano bar concept in Celebration Pointe is being opened by the folks who brought you Emiliano’s and Rockey’s Dueling Piano Bar. Follow their Facebook page for more details on the finalized opening date, because there’s a small chance it may happen even earlier.
- First Magnitude Brewing Company is hosting an International Food Truck Rally this Sunday from 3 PM to 8:30 PM, billed as the first of its kind. It looks like a pretty tremendous lineup that includes Cilantro Tacos, Tinker Food Truck, Arepas Milko, Cuba Libre, Ahar Homemade Indian Food, and more. It seems like it’s going to be a swell time. The whole block is being closed down for it. If you are willing to brave the crowds that is…
- Oggi Italian is temporarily shut down as they revamp their look and menu. If you recall my Instagram post from a couple years ago, it was a less than stellar experience. The restaurant’s previous owner had some issues as well. Here’s to hoping for some positive change, because it was terrible.
- Feces Pizza…er…I mean…uh…Cici’s Pizza’s old spot in
Butler will be occupied by a new Cajun seafood restaurant called Mr. & Mrs. Crab. It’s a popular restaurant with several locations throughout the Tampa/St. Pete area and will feature shrimp, oysters, blue crab, snow crab, crawfish, lobster and more sold by the pound and served with Cajun seasoning in steam bags. No ETA on opening available as of right now. And yes, Cici’s is gone.
- Irish 31 has finally begun their build-out after delays due to several other location build-outs taking precedent to Gainesville’s. They are now looking at a November opening date.
- Cheesecake Factory is on pace for their opening on Sept. 17th if you’re wondering.
- I’ll have some more juicy stuff coming soon that are worthy of individual posts, including two new concepts in Town of Tioga (one of which is in the old Sabore location) and what’s going into the old Manuel’s Vintage Room location very soon. Look for posts on those in the coming weeks with my friends at Avison Young Gainesville.