The News 7/9/2019
Lots of things are happening, places are moving, stomachs are growling. Let’s take a moment to talk about some of the latest and greatest in the 352.
- There are a couple places moving spots on Butler property. Tijuana Flats closed this past Sunday in preparation for their move next to Orange Theory Fitness over in front of Lowe’s. They will be reopening next Monday, July 15th. Meanwhile, Sushi Matsuri also has a new home as it moves in snugly between Kirkland’s and Maple Street Biscuit Company by the big Publix. Today (July 9th) is their first day in operation at the new location. Both vacated the previous old building as it’s due for demolition.
- Patticakes has announced they will be closing their downtown location at the Bo Diddley Plaza as of July 26th. In an email out to patrons, they cited a lack of strong reception downtown as the reason for closing. The original location in Haile will remain in operation.
- I’m going to bring y’all a little piece of Christmas in July and let you know that the Miracle Christmas pop-up will be back again at Madrina’s this year, starting on November 25th. I’m told this year will feature “150% more lights” than last year’s inaugural pop-up. As you kids would say, IT’S GOING TO BE LIT AF.
- Sweet Dreams’ annual Crazy Flavor Night is this coming Sunday, July 14th from 1 PM to 10 PM. You all know the drill by now. The full menu will be released the night before, and sampler bowls are available ranging from 2 mini scoops to 12. Be prepared, know what you want, and the line will be a breeze. Follow their Facebook event page here for the flavor list on Saturday. https://www.facebook.com/events/888206198204638/
- Cilantro Taco’s has opened their downtown location at the 4th Avenue Food Park at 317 SW 4th Avenue. They will be open from 11 AM to 9 PM Mondays through Saturdays.
- Los Pollos Rotisserie & Grill is getting ready to open their second location over in the Park Avenue strip off 39th Avenue by Santa Fe College. It looks as though they are finally moving away from the rip-off Breaking Bad logo that was an AMC lawsuit waiting to happen. Good on them. A+ for an about-face towards originality.
- 8 Degrees Fahrenheit Ice Cream has rebranded and reopened as Fox & Bear Creamery. All of the old items are still available, but they’ve added more flavors, dairy-free options, and will be adding frappucinos and boba as well. They are also offering $5 nitrogen or rolled ice cream every Tuesday for the rest of the summer. Look out on my Instagram (@keneatsgainesville) later this week for a giveaway they’ve passed along as well.
- I still don’t care about Newk’s and neither should you. It’s like waiting for a friend to show up, but they were never really that good of a friend anyways, but getting upset and constantly texting your other friends about it. Just…let it go.