Restaurant Recap 8-27-2017
The school year is back in full swing, please help me spread the word by tagging a friend, family member, or mortal enemy who just got to Gainesville and has no idea where to locate the tasty yummies. On that note, many things are going on around town and here’s just a recap of some of the happenings.
- If you missed my review of Ameraucana Pizzeria, be sure to scroll back to take a look. The restaurant’s operations are now in full swing, with plans to begin serving sandwiches at lunchtime from their take-out counter very soon.
- Root & Pecker’s popular brunch is back. Starting September 3rd, they’ll be serving from 10 AM till they run out. Bottomless mimosas for $15, and favorites like the sourdough waffles, biscuits and gravy, and classic benedict will all be returning. Check their Facebook page for more information as well as an image of the full menu.
- Madrina's is also now open, and a full write-up is to come. But this coming Tuesday, August 29th, they’ll be hosting an event that you don’t want to miss. World-renowned bartender, Julio Cabrera, will be making an appearance behind the bar along with Christian Delpech and Phillip Khandehrish. Live music, cigar, and fine rums should make for a grand ol’ time. The event starts at 7 PM.
- Yummy House Gainesville’s Asian bakery, Sweet Buns, is coming along and if you follow me on Instagram, you will have seen a sneak preview of the space. The owner expects the build-out to be completed this week and will open as soon as the city can perform their inspections. I will have more on this once I know a concrete date.
- afternoon, a breakfast and lunch restaurant focused on local ingredients is planning on opening in September. They will be located in the Grove Street neighborhood, an area that is about to see an exciting boom in revitalization, at 231 NW 10th Avenue. The owners are Florida natives who just moved back from Portland, Oregon and are partnering with a chef that has spent time at a number of restaurants up in New York and Philadelphia. This has the makings of a good one.
- Attention Teachers! Sonny’s BBQ is giving away a free pork sandwich to all K-12 teachers tomorrow, August 28th. All Sonny’s locations in town will be participating in this event, just show up with your school ID.
- 8 Degrees Fahrenheit Ice Cream is planning on a grand opening on September 14th. As mentioned before, they’re a rolled ice cream concept from Atlanta opening their first Florida location in Butler North.
That’s all for now. Stay tuned for a fun giveaway with Mayflower Cellars and some more good news on the way!