Restaurant Recap 7-27-2017
A lot of news has been broken over the past few weeks, so much so that I completely failed to acknowledge that the Facebook page has now gone over 20,000 “likes” and then some! Thank you all so much for your support and making this possible. When the page started, that number was always a goal of mine. Now I’m looking forward to continued growth, and being able to continue my mission of elevating Gainesville’s food scene. More exciting stuff to come in that respect, stay tuned!
But for now, I wanted to recap all of the restaurant news I’ve broken over the past few weeks for anyone who missed it, as well as share some other news. Ready? Let’s do it.
- As of today (July 27th), Uber has officially launched UberEATS in Gainesville, giving us yet another food delivery option. I was asked to keep this on the DL for the last few weeks, but I’ve just been given the green light. As a special treat for all you beautiful people, Uber has given me a coupon code so all of you can save $5 off your first order. Download the “UberEats” app on iTunes or Play Store, and use the code “trygaines1” when ordering.
- Madrina's, the Cuban-inspired bar concept from the folks who brought you Crane Ramen and TJ Palmieri (formerly of 2nd Street Speakeasy) is getting close to opening as well. Construction on the building itself is complete (it’s gorgeous), and the staff is currently stocking up the place and getting some final pieces of equipment together. Expect an opening in the coming weeks.
- Whiskey House, who were originally temporarily closing its doors to renovate and add a kitchen, has a change of plans. They are now permanently closed due to ownership disagreements. No immediate plans have been made for the now-vacant space. You can find Akil and Rob working at Dutton's Vault (inside The Bank) and at Sidecar Gainesville.
- Bangkok Square’s second location at Park Avenue off 39th Avenue is looking good, with the completion of the brand new plaza imminent. Their plans are to open by the fall. A popular Thai spot with some of the best lunch deals in town, they will surely be a hit with Santa Fe College students and professionals on the NW side of town.
- Dave's New York Deli's second location at Park Lane on the corner of Tower Road and Archer Road is nearly complete. The “Express” version of the popular Tioga deli will feature all the favorites in addition to coffee by Opus Coffee. Plans are to open by August 1st.
- Ameraucana Pizzeria, the former food truck that I named the best pizza in town, is about ready for their rebirth as a brick and mortar location. The restaurant is planning an opening in the coming weeks at the former Cairo Grille and Tasty Buddha location at 2410 NW 43rd Street. Their wood fired sourdough pizzas were at the forefront of the wood-fire movement in Gainesville, with multiple similar concepts opening in town, it’ll be interesting to see what they do to reclaim the crown.
- Yummy House Gainesville’s bakery concept, Sweet Buns, is planning on opening some time in August. However, their plans to get signage up has been held up by the city (as is the case when most businesses are attempting to open). The location is next door to the current Yummy House location on 34th Street, and was the former home of Momoyaki. Asian style cakes, coffee, and dim sum sweets will be available.
- Apoke is a popular sushi burrito and poke bowl restaurant from Miami planning on opening its doors in Gainesville. They will be located at 1404 West University Avenue and are targeting an opening date by early fall. In addition to the trendy sushi burrito offering, they will have build-your-own poke bowls, and salads as well.
That’s all for now, I know it’s a lot, but big things are happening! Stay tuned for another big announcement coming next week!