It’s time for another overdue news post. Here’s the latest and greatest from the world of food in Gainesville.
- Swamp Head Brewery is doing a tap takeover at Lucky’s Market today. There are $2 pints, $7.99 six-packs, and giveaways from 4 PM to 7 PM. They’ll have Homebrew Grown, Day Trippin’, Cottonmouth, Wild Night, Stump Knocker, and others available.
- Sweet Dreams is hosting their annual Crazy Flavor Night this Sunday, July 17th from 1 PM to 10 PM. If you’ve never been, it’s 35+ unique ice cream flavors that’s wildly popular, so be prepared to wait. The full flavor list will be released on their event page the day before. Follow them here: https://www.facebook.com/events/162446670840434/
- The Oaks Mall will be hosting a food truck rally this Saturday, July 16th from 5 PM to 9 PM complete with live music. Trucks include the always wonderful Cilantro Tacos, Monsta Lobsta, Molos Miami Grill, Twisted Ice Cream, Bubba Luigi’s, Cora’s Kitchen, Churros & Cream, and Treemendous BBQ. I’ve never heard of half of these, and they appear to be out-of-towners. Which is good news because most of our food trucks suck.
- If you missed my earlier post, the same folks that brought you The Top, Atlantic, The Dime, and Pop-A-Top are opening a Pop-A-Top General Store at the new Depot Park set to open on August 1st. The store will occupy the renovated train depot building. In addition to the retail side, it will also include an event space and a beer/wine garden.
- Construction on the new Patticakes location at the Bo Diddley Plaza has begun. For those not familiar, Patticakes is a local cupcake bakery and coffee house that will be opening their 2nd location.
- Sabore has officially announced they will be rolling out with a new menu this August. Chef Valero has a few new tricks up his sleeve, and it’s going to be an exciting change that reflects his personality. Stay tuned for more on this.
- The Top & Atlantic are celebrating their anniversary this weekend and has events set for Friday, July 15th through Sunday, July 17th. Live music, giveaways, dance parties, and more. Check their event here for the complete itinerary: https://www.facebook.com/events/603018533187641/
- Crane Ramen’s Street Fighter Ramen Tournament is still going on. Every Wednesday and Thursday, two Street Fighter-themed bowls of ramen will go head to head. $20 gets you two half bowls and a beer. Vote on the winner to advance to the next round.
- Several chain restaurants recently announced they will be opening Gainesville locations. Bojangles, a fried chicken joint, will be opening where the former Cody’s Roadhouse was located. Bahama Breeze, a Caribbean restaurant, will be opening in Butler North. A small-scale Target was also announced for The Standard (new building on the corner of 13th and University).
That’s it for now! Stay cool out there, it’s that time of the year when it feels like we live on the sun.