It has been a while since I’ve made a news post, and with a number of exciting things coming up on the horizon, what better time than now? We just went over 17,000 “likes” on Facebook and I’m putting together a little special something-something for you all next week, keep an eye out on some gift card giveaways and a chance to go for a free ride on Florida Fun Bikes. For now, let’s take a look at the latest and greatest.
- Sweet Dreams is hosting their annual Chocolate Night this coming Sunday from 1 PM to 10 PM. If you’ve never been before, my pick for Gainesville’s best ice cream shop will have over 36 different flavors of chocolate ice cream available for one day only. The flavors get more novel every year, this is something you don’t want to miss! In the past, there have been flavors like chocolate bacon, white chocolate pomegranate, chocolate coconut pineapple, and one featuring Jim Beam soaked cherries, Jack Daniels fudge, and Johnnie Walker chocolate ice cream. Keep track on their events page here: https://www.facebook.com/events/497654837092395/
- To recap a busy couple weeks of openings: Yummy House Gainesville at 3102 SW 34th Street has reopened, Maple Street Biscuit Company - Gainesville is now open for business in the old Barnes & Nobles in Butler Plaza, and Govinda's is open at 604 NW 13th Street featuring vegan and vegetarian cuisine. Remember to check out the “What’s Coming?” section for the absolute latest on what’s coming before ANYWHERE else.
- A number of restaurant announcements have been added to my “What’s Coming?” section. Culver's, a popular fast food joint from the Midwest featuring butter burgers and custards will be opening in Butler North as well. A couple more announcements are in the pipeline, I will report on those once I have been given the green light. As usual, you’re welcome, Gainesville Sun.
- Swamp Head Brewery is hosting their “Welcome to Hoggetowne” event today, April 15th, starting at 2 PM. Beers from their brewer friends around the state will be available, and the good folks who brewed them will be on hand as well. Cigar City, Brew Bus, Funky Buddha, Green Bench, Infinite Ale Works, Grasslands, and more are all represented.
- Don’t forget tomorrow, Saturday April 16th, is the 2016 Hogtown Craft Beer Festival out at Town of Tioga. The event runs from 1 PM to 5 PM. Tickets are SOLD OUT, but as a reminder to those attending, make sure to get there early as the line gets long. The organizers will begin check-in at 12 PM.
- Also tomorrow is Swallowtail Farm's Spring Festival. Tickets are $10-$20 a head, while kids 12 and under are free admission. There will be food from local vendors, live music starting at 3 PM, workshops, demonstrations, and farm tours available. The event starts at noon and more information is available on their event page here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1570738633148652/