The News 3/14/2016
Lots of good stuff happening this week leading up to St. Patrick’s Day as well as a couple restaurant announcements. I’ve been totally slacking on the reviews, I promise more is coming very soon. For now though, let’s get you all caught up on the latest and greatest shall we? HAPPY PI DAY!!!
- In case you missed it, last week I reported that Spring Brothers Irish Pub will be moving into the former Five Bar space at 104 South Main Street located in downtown. This will be their third location after Miami and the original in Geneva, Switzerland. The owners plan on flying in furniture and décor, including a full bar, from a historic Irish pub that recently closed. They are expecting to open by summer.
- Yummy House has officially moved out of their old location on Newberry Road, but city permit issues have delayed their opening at their new location on 34th Street. Pending inspection, ownership is attempting to open by this weekend. The old building will become The Flaming Crab, a Cajun-style restaurant.
- Whiskey House is hosting an Old Fashioned Cocktail Class this Wednesday, March 16th from 6 PM to 8 PM. Tickets are still available for $5 a person. Sonny Wallace will be on hand to teach you how to make your own Old Fashioned, which you can enjoy afterwards. Tickets are available at Whiskey House now.
- Loosey’s Downtown will be hosting a St. Paddy’s Day Bash on Thursday starting at 4 PM. $3 Tullamore Dew and $4 Jameson until 9 PM with other drink specials, a dance party, and a lamb stew special.
- First Magnitude Brewing Company will also be celebrating St. Patrick’s Day on Thursday starting at 4 PM with live Irish music by The Dozenaires starting at 6 PM. First Magnitude’s Irish Red Ale and Irish Stout will be on t ap as well as food specials from Off The Griddle food truck. Go dressed in your finest St. Paddy’s Day outfit for a chance to win a growler.
- Durty Nelly’s will open and begin serving food at 11 AM on St. Patrick’s Day, with live music and plenty of beer and whiskey.
- The St. Patrick’s Day celebration continues into this Saturday when High Dive hosts another food truck rally. Start at 5 PM, there’s free live music from bands like Jig to a Milestone (traditional Irish music and drinking songs), and trucks include Cilantro Tacos (my pick for best Mexican), Bubba Luigi’s Road Trip, Humble Pie, Monsta Lobsta, The French Crepes & More, and the Sweet Dreams Ice Cream truck. Portion of the proceeds go towards benefitting Habitat for Humanity.
- As always, make sure you check keneatsgainesville.com! There’s a list of any and all food places coming to Gainesville that’s updated before ANYONE else gets the scoop. There’s also a specials calendar to help you keep track of all the best food/drink specials in town on any day of the week. Also, add me on Snapchat (keneatsgville) and on Instagram (keneatsgainesville) for more content!