It’s time once again for another round of the news. Hope you all had a wonderful Valentine’s Day/President’s Day weekend. Lots of good stuff coming up the next couple weeks! Here’s just a few goodies happening soon.
- The annual Tour of Kitchens 2016 is happening this Saturday, February 20th starting at 10 AM. Tickets are $35 a pop and will take you on a tour of 8 of the nicest home kitchens in town, each one featuring food samples from local restaurants, beverages, and desserts. All proceeds benefit projects by the Junior League of Gainesville. More information as well as tickets are available on their event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/1698118920475302/
- Cookies & Cocktails is an event coming up next Monday, February 22nd at 7 PM hosted by The Jones (203 SW 2nd Ave). $7 gets you in as some of the best bartenders in town compete against each other creating cocktails that are paired with Girl Scout Cookies. All proceeds are going towards benefiting local Girl Scouts and to help pay for their summer camps this year. More information is available on their event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/1719594968256963/
- Swamp Head Brewery needs your help in deciding the next beer they distribute as Batch #352. Between February 21st and February 24th between 4 PM and 10 PM each day, they will prepare 15 different pilot batches of beer. Five of these beers will be tapped each day and available in flights for $6. Patrons will be able to vote on which is their favorite, and the winning beer will be distributed to bars and restaurants throughout the state.
- 352walls is hosting a dedication event on February 26th from 4 PM to 7 PM at Lot 10 downtown to celebrate the art projects throughout the downtown area. There will be live music, a tour of the murals done by international artists throughout the area, and specials at downtown restaurants. More information is available on their event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/537692483070667/
- A quick update on Yummy House’s move into their new location on 34th Street: Due to permitting delays, the planned opening is now pushed back until the 2nd week of March. I recently got a chance to preview the new building, and it’s going to be awesome. Especially the new build-your-own noodle bowl bar that will be open late.
- CRANE RAMEN will soon have outdoor seating available just in time for the nice weather to roll in. Starting at the end of next week, their sidewalk bar will be completed.
- In case you missed it, Sawamura Japanese Steakhouse recently reopened after undergoing renovations for the last year. Don’t worry, all the same sauces and same teppanyaki offerings are back along with involvement from the original owners. Sushi, ramen, and a full bar are also available along with a redone outdoor deck area.
- In case you also missed it, Whole Foods announced they are coming to Gainesville with the opening of a new “365 by Whole Foods” shop that will anchor the new Butler Town Center. This is Whole Foods’ attempt at targeting millenials and to dispel the stigma of being overpriced. Expect more of a Trader Joe’s style shop than a conventional Whole Foods store.
- As usual, please like, share, comment on here and at keneatsgainesville.com for the ABSOLUTE latest on local food-related news and happenings. Be sure to also follow me on Instagram (keneatsgainesville) and on Snapchat (keneatsgville) to follow me on my adventures. I’ll be in New Orleans this week celebrating my 30th birthday, so I promise not to disappoint.