The News 5/26/2015
Oh yes, it’s time for another edition of the news, and there are some BIG BIG things happening. I don’t say it enough, but thank you all for continuing to support what I do and keeping Ken Eats Gainesville the #1 source for food news and reviews in town. So as always, please share, like, tell your friends to like, and send me your questions, love, and hatemail. LET’S NEWS!
- Because it’s summer time and it’s ridiculously hot, Bangkok Square is giving out complimentary coconut ice cream with each lunch order for a limited time. This is in addition to the soup and egg roll that already come with each entrée. Lunch is served until 3 PM every day. Eat the Crispy Duck Pad Thai.
- Cymply Fresh is taking a break serving brunch; this Sunday will be the last time they serve it until the summer is over. However, as of last week, they will be serving wood-fired pizza for dinner Wednesdays through Fridays from 6 PM to 10 PM. I had the opportunity to sample a few of them recently, and they’re fantastic. Ameraucana Wood Fire provided the starter for the sourdough crust, and Cymply Fresh is putting their own spin on things. The sausage pizza is made with fantastic pork from Full Circle Farms, and the Cheese Louise (fior di latte, provolone, mozzarella, organic olive oil, Grana Padano, and fresh basil grown on site) are glorious. Finally, more good and proper pizza in town! I am pleased.
- Jacksonville’s beloved Metro Diner is coming to Gainesville! The restaurant is looking to open by the beginning of next year. This comes on the heels of the recently opened St. Augustine location, and is a part of their Central Florida expansion plan. No word yet as to the location, but I will keep everyone posted as I learn more.
- Saporito Oil Vinegar & Spice is a new olive oil and balsamic vinegar tasting room opening in June. They will be located at 4401 NW 25th Place next to Ichiban and 43rd Street Deli. Saporito plans to offer a variety of fused and infused olive oils sourced from small regional growers. There will also be a selection of balsamic vinegars that include Blackberry-Ginger, Fig, Cinnamon Pear, Vermont Maple, and Honey Ginger. Sounds pretty darn good to me.
- The former Stonewood and short-lived Shila Korean BBQ (I called it) location will now house a new business called Beque Holic. I have no idea what this is, and internet searching has revealed nothing more than the fact that it’s the same owner as Garlic & Ginger and the Asian Food Market on 34th Street. If any of you sleuths have the scoop, please share. Perhaps a revival of the Korean BBQ concept, but actually good?
- Fork & Pasta is a new build-your-own-pasta quick service restaurant that will be opening in the former How Do You Roll location at the Stadium Club (1802 W University Avenue). They will be opening mid-June, and will be making fresh pasta, and sauces from scratch. It will surely be a hit with the student lunch crowd.
- Finally, I will be speaking at the Social Media Breakfast Gainesville event this Friday at 7:30 AM. The event will be held at Peach Valley Café, and is a gathering of young professionals, entrepreneurs, and me. I will be discussing social media strategies, and why you should probably throw out everything they teach you. Event page here: https://www.facebook.com/events/845379065510444/