Happy Holidays to everyone! I hope everyone is having a great time with your friends and families, and for everyone who is out of town, drive safe, be safe, and be merry. As for me, I will be enjoying my mother’s delicious ham. But for those who want to eat out, here are some good tidbits for you as well as ideas for last minute gifts!
- Both Yummy House Gainesville and Bangkok Square will be open on Christmas Day. Yummy House will have regular business hours, while Bangkok Square will be open from 3 PM to 9:30 PM. Both restaurants will also be opened on Christmas Eve along with Tipple’s Brews, Paramount Grill, and Taste.
- Speaking of Tipple's Brews, they’re offering custom and pre-made gift buckets/baskets of beers and wines for the friendly alcohol enthusiast. They look super schweet. Gift cards are also available, and they’ll be opened until 8 PM on Christmas Eve if you’re really procrastinating.
- Dragonfly Sushi is currently offering a free $20 gift card to anyone who purchases a $100 gift card. Give the gift of delicious sushi and receive bonus sushi for yourself. Mark’s Prime is doing a similar promotion where you get a $25 gift card if you purchase $100 worth of gift cards.
- Sweet Dreams of Gainesville FL. is also offering a free scoop to anyone who purchases $10 in gift certificates. They will not be open Christmas Eve or Christmas, so get it by Tuesday.
- Ward's Supermarket is open through Christmas Eve and are running several specials on sweet delicious meats. Standing rib roasts are $8.59 a pound, Boston Butt is $1.69 a pound, and they are now taking orders for smoked turkey and ham.
- Ameraucana Wood Fire will be at Midnight Cookies tonight (Friday) from 6 PM to 8 PM. Rumor has it, they’re putting potatoes on a pizza. I also had the chance to try the new Bella Rosa pizza tonight (gorgonzola, red onions, fior di latte, pancetta, and smoked almonds). If you like gorgonzola, it’s a damn good pie. But potatoes? Most interesting…
- But before you do that, First Magnitude Brewing Company is hosting a citrus tasting by Forage Farm from 4 PM to 6 PM tonight (Friday). They’re brewing a special beer just for this occasion and will have a variety of citrus for everyone to try. Suggested donation is $15 as fundraising for the farm. All proceeds benefit Forage youth gardening and after-school programs
- The Great Outdoors Restaurant in High Springs will also be open on Christmas Eve from 11 AM to 3 PM for lunch, then 3 PM to 9 PM for dinner. There will be live music, and a special Christmas Eve menu.
- Sources have told me that Shila BBQ’s owners have already put the place up for sale. This is coming as no surprise as the rent for the building is outrageous, and they’ve already increased dinner prices to $21.99. I also received a call from the California Shila BBQ, who explained they are not cousins as previously stated, but he was asked to give that response in exchange for an annual fee to use their likeness. Evidently there was some falling out, and now they are in the process of trademarking the name. More on that as I find out. They will be open on Christmas Eve if you’re interested.
- Loosey's - Downtown Gainesville is hosting an Ugly Sweater Party this Saturday, December 20th, from 10 PM to 2 AM. $1 PBR Tallboys, $3 Spiked Egg Nog, and the crowd favorite ugly sweater wearers receive $25 gift certificates. May the most hideous of the hideous win this prestigious reward.
- Whiskey House is debuting a new hot whiskey cider drink. Check in on Facebook this weekend and get 10% off. Perfecto drink for a cold Gainesville evening.
- Thank you all again for making 2014 a great one, and cheers to continued growth in 2015. Big things are coming. A big congratulation also goes out to the five winners of the holiday giveaway, hope you all enjoy it! I’ll be traveling for the holidays, so no new reviews until likely after the new year. Until then, follow me on Instagram to keep track of my adventures! www.instagram.com/keneatsgainesville
P.S. – You’re welcome, Gainesville Sun.