Happy early Halloween, and Florida Georgia Weekend is upon us! But for those of us who are staying in town, there are a few happenings going on around town. I’ll also throw in a few restaurant recommendations for those who are making the trek up to the World’s Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party!
- Ameraucana Wood Fire is celebrating their One Year Anniversary this Saturday, and will be at Tipple's Brews from 4 PM to 9 PM. They’ll be raffling off t-shirts and feature a Greatest Hits menu that will include the Fromage a Trois, Marge, Mortadella Vetri, and Spicy Pancetta. Congrats to Chef Tyler and the best damn pizza in town! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY!
- First Magnitude Brewing Company is holding their first annual Pumpkin Carving Contest from October 29th through November 1st. Bring in your best pumpkin carving for them to display. Best use of logo/mermaid, best beer theme, funniest, best Star Wars theme, and overall best will all get a chance to win Growlers.
- Speaking of First Magnitude, on Sunday, November 2nd, they will be hosting the folks from the Birds On The Road Tour. A group dedicated to educating folks on the importance of satellite tracking as a way to save birds. There will be art on display, as well as demonstrations. Learn something while you drink!
- Vine Bread & Pasta is hosting a Halloween Happy Hour from 6 PM to 8 PM on Friday. Buy a bottle of wine or two beers and receive a complimentary cheese plate. There will also be live music by Blackfire.
- An unconfirmed report has Shila Korean BBQ opening this Saturday, November 1st. I’ll pass along any updates as I find out. But if you’re willing to try out this copycat restaurant with ridiculous time limitations and height restrictions on children, it could be fun .
- Of course this weekend is also The Fest. For those unfamiliar, it’s a giant annual music festival that takes over downtown. With that in mind, the Bo Diddley Plaza and its surrounding areas will be shut down for concert use, and some downtown establishments will be closed for Fest-goers only. It’s going to be a big crowd as usual.
- For those who are headed to Jacksonville for the weekend, Swamp Head Brewery will be at Mellow Mushroom Southside on Friday from 6 PM to 9 PM and at World of Beer Southside on Saturday from 3 PM until whenever. Both events are in conjunction with Terrapin Beer Co. from Athens, Georgia. Some restaurants I would recommend in Jacksonville include Hawkers Asian Street Fare, Restaurant Orsay, bb's restaurant and bar, and The Metro Diner. Be sure to also check out The Parlour at the Grape and Grain Exchange, Sidecar Jax, and Intuition Ale Works for drinks.
Thank you guys all again for your support, I think we are well on our way to 10,000 “likes” by year’s end. Bigger and better things to come! This is a big party weekend and Halloween, so please please please be safe out there!