Welcome to a Game Day Edition of THE NEWS! As the greatest time of the year is upon us (football season), we must celebrate long days of drinking, BBQ, and cheering on a hopefully much improved Gators team! Yours truly will be smoking a 9 pound brisket this weekend that I’ve dubbed Jeff Brisket (pictured below), perhaps I’ll even do a write-up about it.
- Just in time for tailgating on Saturday, First Magnitude is going to begin filling growlers of their Siren Blonde Ale, 72 Pale Ale, and Drift English Mild Ale this Friday. Only catch is you have to bring in your own gallon or 32 oz. growler to do so. Friday hours are 4 PM to 9 PM, so get there early. They will begin offering their own growlers soon! The brewery will also be opened on Saturday from 2 PM to 9 PM if you want to do your pre-game drinking there, Ameraucana Wood Fire will be on hand for food.
- Swamp Head has a brand spankin’ new batch of 10-10-10 that was just freshly bottled. They are available for purchase at the brewery. It’s probably my favorite Swamp Head brew, and is a fantastic Imperial IPA. Also don’t forget that tomorrow is their first Football Friday event, from 4 PM to 9 PM, there will be food trucks, music, and obviously beer. Ameraucana Wood Fire and Go-Go Stuff Yourself will be on hand for food.
- Piesano’s Pies & Pints is now open at the Holiday Inn on the corner of University Avenue and 13th Street. They didn't really do much advertising, but the location features 40 beers on tap (including Intuition, Cigar City, and Swamp Head), a full bar, and their usually selection of tasty pizzas.
- Dragonfly’s outdoor bar will also be open at 4 PM on both Friday and Saturday for anyone who wants to enjoy a pretty darn good cocktail before headed out to The Swamp.
- 2nd Street Speakeasy rolled out a new monthly menu this past week. The Frozen Key Lime Fizz (Martin Miller’s Gin, lime, egg white, condensed milk, ginger ale) is the perfect drink to celebrate victory on Saturday night. Other selections include the Punch #3 (Don Q Rum, Albarino, lemon, green tea, honey) and the Chupacabra (Camarena Tequila, agave nectar, Angostura and orange bitters, served with a Mezcal float).
Hope everyone has a safe weekend, have fun, enjoy, and GO GATORS!!! JEFF BRISKET!